Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sleep Sweet Secrets

Have you ever waked up from such an deep exhaustive sleep that it took you a minute to realize where you were?  Well, say good morning to your cohort in that experience.  

I woke up very early this morning with my computer open, lying cockeyed - half on me, half on the bed with about 5% power left.  I have dry eye that flairs up when I forget to drink enough water or have my contacts in too long (I had taken them out, thankfully); but my left eye was painfully sore.  

I realized I was in the upstairs bedroom with just one side of the bed unmade and thrown to the side.  Then, I recalled why I was there.  Frank had nudged me one too many times saying, "Baby, you're snoring - roll over." I'm sure that the last few times he tried to stop my snoring, it wasn't "Baby," but a good strong, irritated tone of voice speaking my first and middle name, "Mecca Ruth," (like my mother use to say my name when that was the last warning on a thing.)  

At that point I remembered thinking "well, quit waking me up and go somewhere else to sleep."  I think he should have gone somewhere else, don't you?  Doesn't matter what we think, because I was in the upstairs bedroom.  Now I am sitting at the desk next to the bed very relieved that I had saved the blog I started last night.  Go back with me 6 hours, and this is what I was writing when I just couldn't write anymore.

It is late, and I have had a long, productive day because God's direction was evident, and my dependence on Him was necessary to meet some virtually impossible demands on my time. Nothing is impossible with Him, right?  I just noticed that I said, "my dependence on Him was 'necessary.'" God has a marvelous way of putting us in situations where our dependence on Him is required if we are to achieve the goals in our lives that will prepare us for eternity. He guarantees success to His children in situations where they rely on Him because He never fails.  I love that thought. Here's another thought. The Lord's idea of success might be very different than ours. Being prepared for eternity might mean (our idea of) failure in some of the tasks we believe are so important in the immediate sense. (That's a digression that we can talk about another time - just wanted to make a quick point.)

We have a tradition at our house. Often Frank will tell me at night before we go to bed to "sleep sweet."  After a long day, those are welcomed words.  There are two secrets to being able to "sleep sweet." See if you can identify which two they are:

a. don't drink liquids within an hour of going to bed
b. don't eat a heavy meal within two hours of going to bed
c. don't fight with your spouse
d. take your hormones
e. kick the kids, cats, and dogs out of the bed
f.  make the snoring spouse sleep in another room
e. can't pick just two

My answer is highlighted; what is yours? 

Ok, we are back in real time.  Morning has broken, and I am so amused that once again, life has imitated art.  Just look at the choice marked "f."  I had created that list to have a little dose of real life in my musing.  Turns out I didn't need to create it at all.  

I want to finally tell you what the two real secrets are to experiencing "sweet sleep." Read with me the following verses from Proverbs 3:21-24

My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight,
    preserve sound judgment and discretion;
22 they will be life for you,
    an ornament to grace your neck.
23 Then you will go on your way in safety,
    and your foot will not stumble.
24 When you lie down, you will not be afraid;
    when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.


Wisdom and understanding or any other words, sound judgement and discretion.  If the beginning of wisdom is the knowledge of God, then we sleep sweetly because we know and trust the heart of God; therefore, we have our minds stayed on Him because we trust in Him; and the result of that is perfect peace.  "Thou will keep Him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on thee because he trusteth in thee." Isaiah 26:3.  The Lord has brought so many more thoughts to my mind about sleep.  If it's OK with you, let's begin our day with the "joy that cometh in the morning" and continue our sleep discussion tonight - that is, if I don't fall asleep in the middle of it again.  Just sayin'.  

His faithfulness is new this morning.  Make it a great day.  














No comments:

Post a Comment